Watch the video to learn how you can help your 4-legged friend beat the heat and stay safe this summer.
What Happens to Fluffy If I Die?
Over the many years of pet sitting I’ve done I’ve been fortunate to never deal with this situation but it’s one I ask my clients. What would happen to your pet should you pass away suddenly or become incapacitated? Now, most of my thought goes to what would happen if they pass while I’m caring for the pet but really, we should all be forward thinking and plan as if it could happen tomorrow because last I checked we don’t know when our time will come.
What Should You Do Before You Travel
As a pet sitter I want to know if you’ve made plans for a relative or close friend to take Fluffy if you die while on vacation or traveling for business. Always make sure you designate someone, (other than your sitter) to take your pet should the unthinkable happen. More importantly, make sure that person knows they get your pet AND your sitter knows how to contact that person.
Get Your Ducks In A Row
So how do you plan for your pet’s care in the event of your passing?
- DDFL has a Pet Guardianship program that they promote and I think would be helpful in many cases.
- Contact a Pet Trust Attorney and set up a care plan and funds for your pet.
- Let family members know there’s a Pet Trust (many family members will suggest taking the animal to a shelter).
- Don’t assume the sitter will keep Fluffy or that they can keep him, if we took all our client’s pets we’d be in trouble.
- Don’t think this is all crazy talk! Pet Guardianship is real and it’s there to protect you and your furry family member.
I understand this is a subject no one likes to think about, but, if the thought of surrendering your pet to a shelter doesn’t give you pause to plan then I don’t know what will.
Interested in reading more information like this?
Join us today and receive FREE access to our complete pet parent education library!